The Filipinos fought vainly but succumbed to the American guns but in return received the progress in education, health and structural improvements that was denied them in the Spanish Era. With it, health became a focus that impacted the Chinese and Filipinos and a new economic class, the Mestizo de Sangleyes or Filipino Chinese.
- Under the Americans, the Chinese Community Guild was formally registered as a non-stock organization in 1907 and whose main function was to administer the affairs of the Chinese Hospital and the Chinese Cemetery.
During that time, the total land area was 526,700 sq. meters or 52.67 hectares. Relying on the donations from the growing Chinese Community population, a fund drive was started in 1917 to expand the existing building and facilities of the Chinese Hospital and in 1921, a new hospital was inaugurated with Dr. Jose Tee Han Kee as its first Medical Director.
He was the Municipal Physician assigned by the Manila Board of Health until he became the Medical Director of the Chinese General Hospital. At this time in 1921, the CGH School of Nursing was established.
Dr. Tee Han Kee was one of 12 Chinese medical volunteers who arrived in 1902, having graduated from the Hongkong School of Medicine and had gained a reputation as a specialist in the bubonic plague.
Throughout these years, a succession of Kapitans of the Chinese Community Guild continued to harness support for the upkeep and continuing service of the Chinese General Hospital.
- A Great Chinese Legacy by Chando P. Morallos;
- PCCAI October 10, 2010 Anniversary Issue
- Tee Han Kee image credit: BahayTsinoy
- 140th PCCAI Anniversary issue